Monday, June 26, 2006

Plum Blossom Revealed

I have renamed the swirled pentagon pullover "Plum Blossom".


Here is a closeup of the yoke


and this is the back, showing the waist shaping.


I did not find any additional errors in the pattern . It was really a fun and challenging design. Like Grumperina, I thought the sweater came together really well.

I tweaked the pattern slightly.
  1. I used a different yarn which yielded a looser gauge. I compensated by following knitting instructions for a petite size body and yoke and a small size sleeve.
  2. I added waist shaping, making 4 decreases/increases every 6 rows 5 times.
  3. This one is a biggie. I translated the instructions for knitting the sweater in the round. I joined the sleeves and the body at the underarm as in a traditional yoked sweater. After 8 rows, I divided up the knitting in 2 parts, left and right side. After binding off the last of the body stitches (row 26 after joining), I finished the sleeve (39 rows after joining).
  4. I made the decreases decorative, like the ones I learned in making this cardigan.
  5. If I were to make the sweater again, I would have made the sleeve cap about 2 rows shorter. Your row gauge may be different than mine, but I think the fit of my sweater would have been improved without the very slight wrinkle at the sleeve cap.
  6. I omitted the turtleneck.
  7. I did not fasten off the half pentagon at the back neck until there were 2 stitches in each section. (The pattern said 6 stitches.)
I bought the yarn at the Gardena Marukai 98 cents store for 98 cents a 50 g ball. The label said it is 100% Peruvian cotton, manufactured in Japan. I bought 14 balls and used 12. The yarn sure is soft to wear and washes well. I did not find the yarn in the Torrance Marukai store (but found some sushi-shaped candles which were not available in Gardena). Did anyone find the yarn at the Marukai stores in Hawaii? I would love to get more, but can't find any more in Los Angeles.

You can read more on my blog.


Tags: Pentagon Pullover_

9 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Celestine said...

Absolutely wonderful !
Celestine

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Celestine said...

Absolutely wonderful !
Celestine

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Helen said...

What yarn did you use?

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Monika said...

Congratulations! The sweater fits you well and turned out nicely!

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger the daily purl said...

Gorgeous pentagons. I love how you added waist shaping-looks great!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Georgeous! This sweater is also on my list (besides 4 or 5 others)...
I´ve also planned to add waist shapings ;-)
Claudia.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Lovely! The name suits it very well. :)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger jillian said...

Wonderful! Love it in the pink!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Allegra said...

beautiful sweater!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home