Thursday, June 22, 2006

Starting Cabled Spiral Pullover

I have been swatching, and plan to start the Cabled Spiral Pullover today. But there are some issues to work out before I cast on.

- gauge: If I use 5 mm needles I get gauge exactly, even the row gauge is perfect. And it looks nice enough. But out of curiosity I tried 4.5 mm needles too, and obviously the gauge is a bit off, but the fabric I get is perfect, absolutely perfect. The math tells me that I could knit it one size bigger and not have to make any adjustments, but I haven't worked out the row gauge math if I do that. For the large stockinette parts it doesn't matter, but I'm unsure about the cabled section.

- shape: It looks very boxy and square in the book, and as I read the pattern I realised there is no shaping whatsoever. Will have to modify that, the question is how much. Should I just add some careful little waist decreases to keep with the designer's intention of a loose fitting garment, or could I go a bit further without compromising the designer's idea?

I'll be using unlabelled cashmere from Pinnsvindesign, it's been in my stash for a long time now, waiting for a pattern that is good enough for it!

Tags: Cabled Spiral Pullover

3 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger treeba said...

Have you swished your swatches around in some water to see how they block? May help with the needle size decision. As for row gauge, I wouldn't worry about it too much (but that's just me!).

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger jillian said...

Wow - that sweater in cashmere will be divine!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had my eye on this sweater too, but was disappointed at its boxy shape. I can't wait to see how your version comes out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home