Sunday, June 11, 2006

Leaf Tank Math Check

It's midnight in NY and I've just completed 36.5" and am ready to join. I'm going to run my math by you all and unless someone notices a glaring error, will join when I'm fresh (hopefully tomorrow). Here goes:

Pattern row gauge is 26/4" or 6.5 rows per inch. My gauge is 24, or 6 rows/inch.
The 36.5" pattern x 6.5= ~237 rows, whereas I have 36.5x6 = ~219 rows, or 18 fewer rows.
You are suppose to pick up every 2 rows ("2 rows above") which I take to mean every other row, but I'll have 18 fewer rows, so 9 fewer pickups, which will make my tank smaller.
To avoid that I'll add an extra pick-up every 12 rows (219/2 rows=109.5 -- 109.5/9 extra pick-ups = 12).

There's probably an easier way to do this math. Anyone want to give it a go?

PS picture to follow after I join :~}


Tags: Roundabout Leaf Tank_

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger jillian said...

Hmmm...not sure about changing how many you pick up. I am getting about 24 sts=4 inches in my yarn too. I joined at 36.5, more measurement than counting rows, which was what I was going to do but didn't for some reason. I picked up the first stitch at the first RS row, and then every other - 2 above. It looks and drapes fine.

Your difference in row gauge shouldn't matter if you're doing all the right things the same distance apart in inches. Now, I am just about to start decreasing, which is based on a rate of every X rows. Because I am getting different row gauge, I am going to calculate that into inches first and apply that instead of the number of rows. I just posted on my blog tonight, but haven't posted the progress pic here just yet. Hope this helps, but I am Definitely not an expert by any means :)

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I agree with Jillian. At this point, I think the more important thing is that you are doing everything as the pattern states in inches. I think that picking up every two rows is to accomodate the wrong side row you knit back, not to affect the sizing. Does that make sense?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home