Sunday, July 01, 2007

Snapping Turtle Skirt

Hi all, I’m Herdis, a newbie on this KAL. My Snapping Turtle Skirt is finally ready! Actually, it’s been ready for a while, but my camera broke and I couldn’t get any decent pictures of the thing. That’s why I couldn’t post any pictures of the progress on knitting the skirt either… well, that and the fact that it looked so horrible while being knit that I wasn’t sure it would ever become anything. Then in the end, it did actually come out pretty well. I really enjoyed knitting this skirt and I plan to wear it to pieces!

I made some modifications, mainly unintentionally, so the finished garment looks quite different from the one in the book. First of all, I chose to knit it in wool.

Second, my carefully checked gauge turned out to be all wrong. Instead of having six hexagons to the round, I needed only five, which is fine by me if they hadn’t looked like hats rather than hexagons. This was the main reason I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to wear this thing. Blocking the skirt improved this a lot, but even after blocking you can still see the hexagons bulging out a bit. The skirt is also quite a bit longer than the original b/c of the bigger hexagons, but I actually really like that.

Third, I knit the skirt “in the round” and so did not have to sew the skirt together in the end. Doing it this way makes so much more sense… I didn’t even realize that I wasn’t following the pattern until the skirt was almost ready.

Happy knitting, thanks for reading!



At 9:28 AM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

That appears to be really nice. I don't notice anything wrong. I'm having the same problems with my hex coat - and I think they will be resolved with blocking. But boy is it frightening to be so skeptical of a wip! Beautiful job.

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Wow! I think it looks just beautiful!

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Herdis said...

Thanks for the compliments!

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Very nice! Please tell us more, what yarn and how much did you use? It looks so nice in the picture, it seems that it would look better in real life!

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Herdis said...

Thanks Terry! I used a yarn called Punta del Este, color 395SD (see for details. The yarn is 100% wool and has 50g/150 m to a skein. I knit the skirt in size medium and the pattern called for 10 skeins of 50g/120 m yarn, so I got 10 skeins of my yarn, and now I have - I hope you are sitting - more than 5 skeins left! I wonder if this is what using the wrong gauge can do for you. As for needles, I used dp bamboo needles in US9/5.5 mm (five, I never figured out how to get by with only four).

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Monika said...

The skirt is gorgeous, I love it! Hope you get to wear it a lot!


Post a Comment

<< Home