Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Just about a Roundabout

I've finished my Roundabout Tank!



As you can see, I've made a few changes. The more I thought about it, the more I hated the straps as written, so I ended up redesigning the whole thing.

The redesign required my changing the back quite a bit!



The math for the back nearly killed me, and I ripped out and reknit the top of the back once and the left strap and the part of the strap that goes across the back twice, but it was worth it: I love it!

(Please excuse the lousy pictures: my boyfriend doesn't get the point of photographing knitting.)

A few quick notes: the yarn I used was recycled from a DKNY sweater, and is 99% silk and 1% "other fiber". It's actually a knitted tube that lies rather flat, so produces a kind of jumbled look when knitted up. I got 20 stitches to 4", so adjusted the pattern to be 26 stitches wide instead of 24.

I joined tube a bit early, at 35", and then blocked it repeatedly during the knitting to 32", and I think it fits great. My bust is 37", so I really don't understand this. I can only think that the silk, having no bounce, just sags and so needs to be tight not to hang like a wet sack. As it is, I had to run a row of single crochet across the top edge between the straps to keep it from sagging too low.

3 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger kelp! said...

I absolutely love your changes - I don't really like the straps in the photo, either. You're a trooper for figuring out that back section!

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger The Beast Mom said...

It's beautiful. How long does something like this take? I have never knitted a thing in my life, except that finger knitting stuff that I did as a grade school kid, making long ropey things that were of absolutely no use. :)

-beast mom

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Passionknitly said...

No! No!!!

My bust is about 39 and I was having issues with the join as well! I think that when I finally did join it was at 32 or something rediculously small.

I love what you did to the back of it, it looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home