Thursday, July 05, 2007

What a Girl Wants, What a Girl Needs...

Pie Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
all at once o well it's pie
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
an' wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie
Me o my
I love pie

- Andie McDowell in the movie "Michael"


I heard project spectrum was all about red and black this summer. I noticed the annual increase in flag waving and bunting bearing, all in patriotic shades of red, white, and blue as we drew closer to Independence Day.

I went stash diving, in search of something, anything to help me get my red fix. Came up with three skeins of Handmaiden lace silk that were too lightweight for the project they were intended for.

Found this pattern in Knitting Nature.

It calls for a gauge of single strand on ones of nine stitches to an inch. Double strand on size five needles yields five and a half to an inch. Wound one up and swatched. Perfect. At both gauges.

Now I know what you're thinking.

How is that totally embarrassing belly baring top going to look on a fifty year old goddess woman?

Not to worry. I am adding two and a half inches onto the length so my rolls of fat pleasantly plump stomachs don't show.

Sat down last week and cast on. By the weekend I had enough done to tell whether it was working or not.









Oh yeah, it's working!









The shine is fabulous; the drape is luscious; the color shifts so subtly between crimson and berry, you almost think you must have imagined it.

The knitting gods have smiled on me.

Because sometimes a girl just needs pie...









a la mode!

4 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

Cute. You know you could attract a cult following with your writing style alone. I will have to watch and learn. I am eager to see what you will do with this pattern.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger knitaly said...

Wonderful work, appealing writing style, and...that color is my favourite!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Tiger Feet said...

what fun! look forward to seeing..

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger blueshoresbabe said...

wishing to knit coastline skirt/tank. am puzzled at gauge, it calls for worsted weight yet gets 23st.-4" I see you used handmaiden. Is it much finer? driving me crazy and can't find errata on this pattern. would appreciate you help as we are of same age(I'm older) but love the outfit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home