Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fireworks Day! (USA)






















I've finished my summer version of the hex coat. When I start to feel a chill in the air, I'll add sleeves - until then, I have a lovely long sleeveless coat. I knit this with cascade 220 superwash wool (220 yards on size 8 needles) that I bought at Webs last anniversary sale. It was about half the cost so materials for this coat came to about 25.00 without sleeves. It will be about 35.00 with sleeves. Surprisingly, I had no problems with the moss stitch, even in all of it's monotony. The yarn is only a little rough, softer than I expected. The heathered green is gorgeous. The hexagons, however - worried me to no end. I think I could have cast on more stitches per side. And I must have been asleep while making the shoulder seams, because they are not the same as in the book. I will have to adjust the cap sleeves or I will be in trouble. I knit the entire body in the round (sorry in one piece), and added waist shaping. I skipped the ribbing at the bottom edge, because I thought it was an unnecessary edge. I also made the back smaller, and in doing so created a collar where the hexagons join. This looks rather nice, and I've fastened the first three hexagons with clasps. I am happy with this, although, I should have known I'd have trouble making the hex's fit right. The bottom of the coat curls in because of this.


Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Herdis said...

WOW WOW WOW, this is amazing! It looks fantastic! I'm interested in knowing how you did the indentations for the hex trim if you knit the body in the round. Beautiful!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

Just do them for each side like you would if you were to knit them separetly. I'm sorry I made a typo, it's not round, but all in one piece. I just started thinking that way because of the very large circular needle. I'll have to change that...

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

wow...I guess it would have been very amazing to knit in the round...but I don't know how to steek...

my apologies again. I can be very absent minded.

I looked at your blog the other day, and very much enjoyed reading bits of it.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Herdis said...

No problem. I'm none the less impressed :) And thanks for visiting my blog! I saw on your webpage that you work in Hawaii - I've been lucky enough to spend some time there doing research and I absolutely love the place. And I couldn't help thinking that the hex coat would be a bit warm for out there... unless you live in windy, rainy Waimea, that is...

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

Ha! I am no longer in Hawaii. I'm traveling between California, Lake Tahoe and Maui. I think I'll register my car in Nevada next...

Yes, this coat would be way too warm for Hawaii. Unless I could find a way to live at the top of Haleakala, I think I would have no use for this jacket. And the wool might mold over time...ewww...ewe

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

Very pretty -- I love your version!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Monika said...

It's spectacular! Wonderful!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

Thanks guys. I wish my pictures were better. These pics really do not show off this coat. The yarn is so beautiful with bits of blue and yellow mixed into the green. It is a pleasure to look at while I wear it. Sigh. Narcissus would be proud...I guess.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger theresa said...

LOVE IT! I agree that knitting it in one piece without the ribbing makes way more sense. Yours is so elegant! Thanks for the inspiration - this is def. on my "to-do" list, along with 50 other projects...:)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

This is gorgeous! I love your modifications!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home