Friday, February 16, 2007

Basalt Tank

I love this book. This is the first book I've picked up recently that found several projects to get to quickly. Even had the perfect yarn for the Basalt Tank.

I am making the smallest adult size (cast on 188) and I'm doing fine up to Row 26. At the end of row 24 I had 17 stitches in each section. The pattern, page 18, first group - actually all of them - say to Repeat row 2, which is a decrease row, but to maintain 17 stitches per section.

Should the pattern say repeat row 7 or should it be a purl row. If I purl, it would create a garter stitch, which is what the pattern looks like.

I do hope you get this quickly! I'm eager to get moving. The top is really going quickly!

Jenny Tabrum

4 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check the errata section of this blog. There appears to be a correction for row seven of the basalt tank.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Jenny Harned Tabrum said...

Unfortunately it isn't row seven that is the problem. That is the eyelet row. I am at Row 26 and the pattern calls for a repeat of row 2. If you are looking at the photo on page 17, the hexagon there are "four" section from outside to the center.The outermost edge is raised, then a section of flat, then another raised section. That is where I am.
I haven't heard anything else, so after dinner I think I'm goiung to go to the last row and work back.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger MEGatza said...

I just finished the basalt tank two days ago. I don't think it's an error that 14, 18, and 20 are all decrease, nor that 24 and 26 are decrease. Mine worked out quite fine. I think it may have something to do with the angles at which the pattern is decreasing. On the other hand, if you decrease for row 26, you will have (obviously) 15 stitches and not 17 to begin the inner section. Because i have been using size 4 needles, not size 5 in a yarn of a very similar gauge, i think that the faster decrease actually worked out to my benefit.

i hope that answers your question.

ps. the final product is pretty amazing. i'm going to try to get a picture of mine up here soon.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Jenny Harned Tabrum said...

Its worse than that! I misread the pattern. Is my face red.

I did'nt realize that the smaeelest size was called extra small. I didn't need to look at rows 25 and beyond at all. Duh?

I finished the first hexagon watching Masterpiece Theater. I am using two strands of a lovely hand dyed cotton in turquoise. This will probably be for my daughter.

I hope she appreciates my public embarrasment! Fine way to introduce yourself to a group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home