Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hex Update

After finally getting all my holiday knitting done, I've been able to get back to the Hex Coat. I have both fronts done and am starting on the back panel.

If you notice, I have modified the pattern a bit. I'm curvy and don't like boxy clothes so I've modified the sides a bit. I've also shortened the coat to be more of a jacket. Here's where I am now:

To keep track of the increases and the decreases on the hex boarder, I put a marker 10 stitches in and increase and decrease the required 5 stitches. It definitely helped me keep track. I also had two different colored markers so I could keep track of which side of the knit I was on. This was important because Moss Stitch wasn't easy for me to keep up with initially. Color coding the markers definitely helped. (Red on the right: do the opposite of what's on the needles. Blue on the right: match what's on the needles).

After looking at the photo of my knitting, it looks like I may need to redo the first panel (the left one) as I wasn't quite into the zen of keeping track of my rows. I have it down to a science now. I'll wait until after the back panel is done to determine which panel matches the back the best.

Since I've been working with this heathered gray, though, I'm getting a little tired with the color. I seriously want some color added to this, so I'm thinking about making the hex's in a self striping color. There was some beautiful stuff at a local yarn store that just may work out.

Oh, and I've been a little irritated with the Reynolds yarn company. Some of the balls towards the end of them have small pieces just laying on top of each other. This yarn lends itself very well to the spit splice, I just don't want to have to splice in every yard. (I exaggerate, but it was a bit rude to have to keep splicing pieces in).

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silk Garden DK!!! That would be Lovely!

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you let us know how much yarn you use on the shorter version? I was thinking of doing that myself. Thanks, G

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger gretchen said...

I was also thinking about doing it a bit shorter. Did you find the modifications difficult? OR did it make sense?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home