Monday, May 14, 2007

Spring is here!


This is the finished Basalt Tank I've been working on. It looks very smooth and I can't wait to wear it around. The hemp has softened up a bit, and it will be a long lasting durable garment. Elizabeth Lavold's Hempathy would be good to make bags and purses from. It is also the exact gauge Norah Gaughan's pattern calls for. I knit the front center hexagon in the round, as the back (my first attempt, has the dreaded seam everyone here has mentioned). I should have added waist shaping, because it is a wee bit boxy on me, but I am very happy with the result.

I am watching a tiny bird dive through the railing and past my feet in this photo. It was quite the pilot. So fast you can't see it in this picture.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Octopus Knits said...

That looks great! I really like the color. When I get around to making a basalt tank, I'll be using half hexagons for the bottom, too (I think the full hexagons hanging down would make me look a bit too hippy).

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

Thanks! I'm really happy with the color too. And the half hexagons will save you some time, and yarn.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

I forgot, I love your octopus! What a work of art.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger MEGatza said...

i'm glad you used hemp for yours too!! This pattern really does just scream hemp. (I posted mine somewhere back in february or march i think, if you haven't seen it)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

I think the material in your tank, partially inspired mine - I thought it was beautiful. This pattern does scream for hemp! I'm not sure there is a more suitable fiber for this pattern....sorry Norah...Maybe linen, or pure soysilk would be light and airy enough...

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger rockbridge said...

your basalt tank is beautiful - nice work! i've almost finished mine and i hope it turns out half as nice... the hempathy was a great choice. i just made a sweater with it myself - same color too, i think!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Crystal Jean said...

The finishing of this thing, and the blocking it out made it look really nice. I was a bit frightened that it would just look like a big ragged dishcloth until the very end.

Thanks for the comment, I'm sure yours will be lovely.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Love the color, love the yarn, love the yarn suggestions, and most of all love the look! Nice job, inspires me to knit it, just like you did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home