Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Another Sunflower Tam

I just finished the Sunflower Tam, which I cast on for last night after seeing Monika's -- I just had to have one, too!

I used 1 skein of Manos in color #114, knit on size 8 needles. The pattern was intriguing to knit and very cleverly done, with the top shaping completely hidden by the swirls. I didn't find any mistakes, although I kept forgeting to decrease every few repeats and ended up with too many stitches a few times, but that was from not paying attention.

Mine came out more of a skull cap than a tam, due to two things: my gauge was a little tight, and I have a HUGE head and LOTS of hair. This shape is actually more flattering on me anyway, so I don't mind. Other than the size, the only other modification I made is knitting the i-cord at the top to be about 3" long and tying it into a short knot, I didn't like the little tail shown in the picture.

I am really happy with how this came out. I was worried that the multicolor might fight with the swirls, but in the end I think they complement eachother very well. If you're looking to make this and want to use Manos, one skein is more than enough but it might not be if yours comes out bigger. I had a good amount of yarn leftover, but my hat is smaller than it was supposed to be due to the gauge.

I think it'll get a lot of wear in the winter. At the moment though, even wearing it for 10 minutes to get a decent shot of it was torture -- it's so humid in NYC, you'd think it was the Amazon!


At 4:13 AM, Blogger Monika said...

Great job! I like the pattern VERY much. I didn't think it would be so easy to do. I might make another one.


Post a Comment

<< Home