Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Getting That Sinking Feeling; Need Advice

I started joining the body on the Roundabout Leaf Tank and I've knit almost all the way around once. It's 36 inches wide, but I'm starting to get nervous. I think it's going to be too big. I've "tried it on" but it's hard to tell how it's going to hang.

Perhaps this is a classic case of TMI, but here are my measurements: I have 38 inch hips, about a 28.5 inch waist and a 35.5 inch bust. Do you all think that a sweater that is 36 inches wide -- with no shaping -- is going to look like a tent on me? It would make me sick to frog this, because I love the style and it's fun to knit. But it would make me even sicker if I finished the darn thing and it made me look like the side of a barn. Advice?


Tags: Roundabout Leaf Tank_

3 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm struggling with this myself...my issue is that if I do the size to accomodate my hips, it'll be too big at the bust and flap around. I'm going to try it by doing a little math and knitting a size that's in between the written sizes. I hope it works, because this tank is my favorite top in the book, and I already bought the yarn for it!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger cmeknit said...

You see, this is my concern with this tank. I haven't looked at the pattern, but can you sew it up differently? Or do you have to match up the leaves in spots? Can't you just sew it tighter and it would be longer?

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger jillian said...

What I wonder is the effect of gravity. In a cotton blend worsted weight - that baby is going to lose width by stretching lengthwise, right?? Plus the way it is sideways and seamed - it's less stable fabric than traditional up and down stockineete. Looking at the picture in the book, it seems very drapy.

I know this isn't an answer! Just food for thought :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home