Sunday, January 21, 2007

Spiral Scarf Guage question

Hi, I am eager to start the spiral Scarf from my Knitting Nature book.

I have a problem with the gauge though.

Living in UK we almost always have to use a yarn other than the one recommended but I guessed that the doubled yarn of a 2-ply would be a 4-ply yarn but 18 sts and 25 rows gave me a much smaller swatch than a 10cm square.I have tried double knit and Aran weight yarns and still I don't get a big enough swatch.Is there any way of checking whether the gauge printed is the correct one or at least knowing the length of one edge of the biggest hexagon would help.

Any thoughts
?

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 ply isn't doubled 2 ply: 2 ply of one yarn will be different from 2 ply of another, because it refers to the number of strands twisted together.

As a rough guide, look for another yarn that is the same/length weight ratio, i.e. 400 yards/55 grams. If you don't want to double-strand it, then look for one that's about 200 yards/55 grams.

Posh Yarn has a list for their yarns http://www.poshyarn.co.uk/yarninfo.html and lots of other suppliers do too.

A lot of other people on this blog have knitted this scarf and not mentioned problems with the tension: perhaps if you look back through, you will see what yarns they've used and get some tips.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Eudyptes said...

My impression was that the yarn in the book was very light-weight, perhaps similar to a lace weight. I used two odd balls of DK weight alpaca on US 4 (3.5mm)needles and had good results. If I were to do it again, I think that I could have even used a size 3 (3.25mm). I also found that the larger hexagons fit on a 16" circular for the first few rounds. This made casting on a little less unwieldy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home