Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Getting started

I have always loved Norah Gaughan's patterns and bought the book right away. I am trying to decide where to start, bouncing between the Swirled Pentagon Pullover -- I love Grumperina's! -- and the Ram Jacket, or the Cabled Spiral Pullover or a shortened version of the Hex coat, the first pattern I fell in love with. I am trying to knit from stash these days, so that is complicating my choice. Kathy's decision to leave the neckline of the Swirled Pentagon pullover as is was a brilliant one -- every picture of the turtleneck version in the book shows some rolling where the turtleneck meets the pentagons. I think Kathy's version shows off the brilliance of the pentagon design. Will decide today where to start! PS added: I want to make a shorter version of the Hex coat -- fingertip length -- and am trying to figure out how much less yarn I would need. Any ideas on how to do that?


Tags: Hex Coat_

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger JulieFrick said...

Hey there- I want to do the same thing, so I'll be checking back with you. I love the pattern, but it would be better on me (and less expensive) as a cardi!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Grace said...

You could do an old math trick before we used computers to do our integrals for us. We plotted the curves on paper that was a fairly even density, then cut out the area under the curves and weighed them.

Photocopy the schematic (which we hope is to scale), then cut out the pieces. Weigh the paper pieces. Then cut the cardigan down to the length that you want and weigh the pieces again. Take the ratio of the 2 weights and then use the same ratio for your yarn estimate. Add 5% to be safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home